The Bodie (pronounced “body”) Island Lighthouse is rumored to have been named because of the number of bodies that washed ashore there from numerous shipwrecks which occurred in the infamous “Graveyard of the Atlantic” off the North Carolina coast long ago. The historical truth is that it was named after the Body family, from whom the land where it now rests was purchased.
The distinctively banded lighthouse stands approximately 165 feet tall and is located soundside between Nags Head, NC and Oregon Inlet on the northernmost island of the Cape Hatteras Seashore.
The present lighthouse is the third Bodie Island Light, constructed in 1872, and was preceded by a first lighthouse built in 1847 and a second built in 1859. The first, due to a faulty foundation fell victim to the elements. The second was destroyed by retreating Confederate troops in 1861 who thought it might be used by Union troops as a lookout post during the Civil War.
Care of the lighthouse in July of 2000 passed from the U.S. Coast Guard to the National Park Service. Restoration efforts began in 2010 and the facility is open to the general public for tours.
Call to setup a tour – 252-441-5466